Friday, January 11, 2013

Unbrave Eats: Chicken and Waffles

Unbrave Eats: Chicken and Waffles

January 6, 2013
2013-01-05 19.30.55
A million-billion years ago (okay, maybe only three), I used to run a regular series called “Unbrave Eats,” in which I ate a lot of stuff and wrote about it. For some reason, I stopped running the series. Probably because I couldn’t fit into my pants. But I’ve decided it’s high time I brought it back. Because, whatever, who cares about pants?
 
Prior to my arrival in Durham, North Carolina yesterday, I had received two emails from the friend I was coming to visit.
One email simply contained the link to a chicken and waffle place in town.
The other included the line: “Also, how do you feel about lemurs?”
This is how you know you’re in for a good time: emails about waffles and lemurs.
As soon as I arrived, my friend and her boyfriend whisked me directly from the bus station to the chicken and waffle place.
Which, mind you, wasn’t just any chicken and waffle place.
But a world famous chicken and waffle place.
Well.
Almost.
IMG_9833
Ahem.
As this was my first time ever trying chicken and waffles, I was in a bit of quandary as to which menu item to go with.
It didn’t help that all the items on the menu had  super awesome names like “The Frizzled Fowl” and “What a Classy Hen?” (For the “mo’ distinguished” customer.  Obviously.)
I mean, I’m a pretty indecisive person to begin with, so how am I supposed to decide when faced with all that awesomeness?
IMG_9838
I finally settled on something called the “Orange Speckled Chabo” – a fried cutlet served on top of a sweet potato waffle, drizzled with honey mustard sauce and served with orange-honeycomb butter.
IMG_9842
The dish far exceeded my expectations.
Which is saying something because I had pretty high hopes for chicken and waffles.
Because, I mean, come on guys.
It’s chicken AND waffles!
Together!
How can that not be good?
But combined with the honey mustard sauce and orange-honeycomb butter, it was like all these amazing different flavors got together and had a party: salty, sweet, tangy, citrus and butter. (Butter’s totally a flavor, guys.)
And then they invited me to the party.
And we had the best time EVER.
What strange food combination have you tried and loved?

No comments:

Post a Comment